Anonymous asked: OMG FUCK YOU YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT DISNEY MOVIES WERENT CREATED FOR YOU THEY WERE CREATED FOR KIDS SORRY IF THEY DONT MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS FUCK YOU
Once upon a time I was babysitting my 12 year-old cousin and I took her to the mall for food and window shopping. This was around the time Enchanted came out so of course the walls were lined with Giselle. Not that I particularly minded, Enchanted was a good film.
So at any rate, I was casually browsing some of the outfits they had out and pick out this pink sparkly dress meant to be Aurora’s. I said, “Hey, Destiny, why don’t you wear this for Halloween?”
I should note I was just joking because this was the age where she was rebelling against dresses but rather than to comment on that she simply replied with, “That isn’t for me.”
I thought she was talking about the fact that I was holding up a dress so I pressed on, “Aw why not? C’mooon! I’m sure it’ll look great on you! Oh we could get you a nice tiara and sparkly heels-“
But she shook her head and went, “That’s only for white girls.”
Of course it was the initial line that took me by surprise, but even moreso was the sheer matter-of-factness that was in her voice. She wasn’t even fazed by it and talked as if was telling me some fact that I must have missed in a memo.
She went on to look at the TV screen but I kept going through the outfits thinking that maybe Jasmine or Pocahontas or Mulan would work, but that wasn’t the problem.
The problem IS that she is the so-called target audience for a store in which she found nothing for her and she accepted it as a fact.
The problem IS that all of this princess stuff isn’t FOR her.
The problem IS that I went through this revelation when I was her age and I thought that it would have ended a long time ago.
The problem IS that they rejoiced in Tiana only to get three more non-POC princesses.
And the problem is that all of this will CONTINUE to be and I just don’t know if I would be able to stand watching my two year-old niece realize this herself.
Because we’re Mexican, we’re mixed, we’re African-American, but most importantly we’re not white.
So you know what? No. Fuck YOU.
Because I WAS a kid. These princess movies WERE created for me, my cousins, my niece, and damn near every other little girl I have know in my lifetime.
And we were NEVER a part of their formula.
We are NEVER going to be a part of their formula.
I’m sick of this shit. I want to see this shit change and I’m not going to sit around waiting for it to change.
I am going to raise hell and I will bust my ass through school and I will get my degree and I will get into the animation industry and I will fight my absolute hardest to help in the change because if there’s one thing I never want to see again is a kid questioning why movies refuse to acknowledge their existence.
So you sit the fuck down and you shut the fuck up and you go through hearing this shit from four different kids and then you see if you can get off your fucking ass and say that shit to me again.
Uhm no, let’s talk about why Neville Longbottom is a beautiful character and why I wish more people admired him.
- Neville Longbottom came from an emotionally abusive home; he was constantly made to feel as though he was not only good enough for Gryffindor, but to be called his parents’ son, either. Even Minerva McGonagall noticed this, for she made a statement towards the end of the series that she was going to contact Neville’s grandmother in regards to the things she’d said about her grandson and his Transfiguration grades.
- Neville’s family thought he was a Squib, and there’s plenty of insinuation that his family was embarrassed and almost ashamed of this, given the multiple occasions where they tried to force Neville to show signs of magic (occasions that were extremely risky to his own damn life, thank you very much). It was only discovered that he possessed magical abilities when one of his family members dangled him outside a window.
- Neville was the butt of many jokes; even more so than this, really. For most of the series, so many people failed to take him seriously. It was more than just Draco Malfoy and his gang of Slytherin friends picking on Neville—even members of his own House seemed to turn him into a laughing stock. Harry and Ron joined in on this occasion more than once; particularly in the fourth book when Ron cracked some joke about how no one would ever want to go to the Yule Ball with Neville, and Harry chimed in and laughed.
- As if that wasn’t enough, Neville also had to endure bullying from one of his teachers. This experience was so severely detrimental to the young boy’s character and already low self-confidence that said teacher became his boggart. His greatest fear was a professor who humiliated and embarrassed him multiple times throughout the course of a week.
- Neville literally had to sit through a class explaining Unforgivable Curses without being able to vent to anyone his own age about how much it bothered him because of his own parents.
- NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM WAS ONE OF THE FIRST PEOPLE TO SIGN UP FOR DUMBLEDORE’S ARMY. I REPEAT: NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO SIGN UP FOR DUMBLEDORE’S ARMY. This is huge! You have this kid who everyone thinks is clumsy and ridiculous and who no one really takes seriously willingly offering himself up to a student-led organization dedicated to practicing defensive spells.
- Neville’s parents will probably never remember who he is, and yet he goes to visit them and pockets the wrappers his mother gives him because they’re probably the only gifts he’ll receive from her.
- Neville’s proud to be his parents’ kid and damn it he loves them so much even though they can’t remember who he is. He’s living through all this pain of knowing that his parents are physically there but mentally vacant, and that is heart-breaking.
- Neville was tortured by the same woman who tortured his parents to insanity and mocked him about it the entire time.
- Neville essentially spent his final year at Hogwarts being a bad ass and rallying up a resistance. Who still thinks that Neville’s a simpering lil boy who just forget stuff and is no better than a Squib?? Anyone? WELL THEN LISTEN UP.
- NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM STOOD IN FRONT OF LORD VOLDEMORT AKA THE DARK LORD AKA THE SCARIEST DARK WIZARD OF ALL TIME AKA THE WIZARD YOU DON’T WANNA FUCK WITH AND TOLD HIM THAT HE WOULD JOIN HIM ONLY WHEN HELL FROZE OVER.
- LITTLE CLUMSY, INTROVERTED NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM SAID THIS TO LORD VOLDEMORT.
- Neville Longbottom also destroyed a Horcrux?? Using the Sword of Gryffindor?? Which only true Gryffindors can do??
- NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM IS AMAZING WHY HAVE WE NOT BUILT STATUES FOR HIM?
- Seriously though Neville blossomed into this beautiful character and I think there should be like a shrine to him in every city idek.
Everyone who terrifies you is sixty-five percent water.
And everyone you love is made of stardust, and I know sometimes
you cannot even breathe deeply, and
the night sky is no home, and
you have cried yourself to sleep enough times
that you are down to your last two percent, but
nothing is infinite,
not even loss.
You are made of the sea and the stars, and one day
you are going to find yourself again.